Internships at Breast Cancer Foundation NZ provide a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in a small but busy office.
You’ll have the chance to apply what you have learnt in the classroom and to develop your knowledge and skills in a non-profit environment.
By working in a small organisation you can guarantee you’ll make a huge difference and impact on the work we do. You’ll have the opportunity to see how a project comes together and what differences it can make to the lives of NZ women.
We have regular intakes of interns twice a year and we have a number of positions covering various aspects of our work including fundraising, marketing, project management, recruitment, volunteer management, events and communications.
Pink Ribbon Walk Intern
The purpose of this position:
- To provide marketing, fundraising and admin support to Breast Cancer Foundation NZ in the build-up to our three Pink Ribbon Walk events and assist with the development of resources that will improve the BCFNZ’s fundraising capabilities over the long term.
- You will promote the mission of the Foundation to prevent New Zealanders developing and dying from breast cancer. Our work encompasses education, awareness, research, medical support and development, community outreach and advocacy.
The Pink Ribbon Walk is an annual event held in Auckland and Christchurch during October and November. Each year, roughly 5,000 people get together to walk while raising vital funds for the Foundation. This role will focus on helping people fundraising for the Foundation, the marketing of both events and supporting participants in the lead-up to the day.
Key Task #1 – Pink Ribbon Walk marketing
- Supporting the Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator to implement marketing activities to encourage participation of walkers in a Pink Ribbon Walk events.
- Keeping the BCFNZ website and social media platforms up to date with new and relevant information regarding Pink Ribbon Walk.
- Researching new online and offline ways to promote the event in each of the Pink Ribbon Walk locations.
Key Task #2 – Pink Ribbon Walk participant logistics and support
- Supporting the Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator to assist participants of the walk – responding to enquiries, arranging and dispatching walker packs and processing registrations.
Key Task #3 – General Breast Cancer Awareness Month and fundraising support
- Assistance with the upkeep of the database – ensuring correct and relevant information is recorded and exported to be used during the campaign.
- Assisting the fundraising team in other areas in the lead up to Breast Cancer Awareness Month including but not limited to Pink for a Day and community events.
• Customer service experience preferred
• Some understanding of the not for profit sector
• Ability to work well in a team environment
• Knowledge of various social media platforms, and ability to grasp instructions for updating the website
• High attention to detail and accuracy
• Can-do, willing and flexible attitude
• Some level of Microsoft Office skills – Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Making good use of your initiative and common sense
• Strong, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
• Friendly and confident manner
This is an unpaid internship. The role sits within the Fundraising team, and you will report to the Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator, based at Breast Cancer Foundation NZ's office in Parnell, Auckland.
Applications close Friday 7th July, but interviews will start sooner.
Ideally, you will be available full-time from mid-September to mid-November (however there is flexibility with this).
If you are interested and keen to get involved, please email your cover letter and CV detailing skills, experience, and motivation for the role to email@example.com
Pink Ribbon Street Appeal Assistant
The Pink Ribbon Street Appeal is one of Breast Cancer Foundation NZ’s largest fundraising campaigns. Every year, thousands of awesome volunteers all over the country get decked up in pink and give up their time to stand on the streets of NZ and raise vital funds for breast cancer research, education, advocacy, and patient support.
We're looking for an intern to help successfully deliver our Pink Ribbon Street Appeal on Friday 28 and Saturday 29 October. This role is suitable for a student or recent graduate in management, event management or marketing.
Purpose of Position:
1. To provide multi-faceted support to Breast Cancer Foundation NZ’s Pink Ribbon Street Appeal Manager in the build-up to the Pink Ribbon Street Appeal.
2. To actively assist in the success of the Pink Ribbon Street Appeal as a successful fundraising campaign.
3. You will promote the mission of the Foundation: pushing for new frontiers in early detection, treatment and support. Our work encompasses education, awareness, research, medical support and development, community outreach and advocacy.
Key Tasks #1 – Pink Ribbon Street Appeal campaign support & planning -
· Work alongside the Pink Ribbon Street Appeal Manager to provide support to Area Coordinators and Volunteers as well as other key stakeholders.
· Manage updates, registrations & issues within our volunteer platform.
· Implement and support the recruitment plan of corporate groups and community service groups.
· Research new online and offline ways to promote the event and encourage more volunteers to take part.
Key Tasks #2 – General marketing support & social media management
· Aide in the development of the social plan.
· Keep social media platforms up to date.
· Monitor and respond to comments and messages on social media.
· Analyse the effectiveness of social media posts and advertising and make recommendations to optimize social posting and advertising.
Key Tasks #3 – Communications
· Provide phone and email support for inquiries.
· Assist in volunteer journey and recruitment communications.
· Collect stories from volunteers to be used throughout the campaign.
Key Tasks #4 – Pink Ribbon Street Appeal logistics
· Develop stock lists and pack the stock required for Area Coordinators.
· Assist in the bank bag process for the tracking of banking in different areas.
· Manage the ordering and distribution process for volunteer t-shirts.
Knowledge & Experience:
· Social media knowledge/fluency
· Customer service experience preferred
· Ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment
Skills & Attributes:
· High attention to detail and accuracy
· Can-do, willing and flexible attitude
· Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment
· Some level of Microsoft Office skills - Word, Excel and Outlook
· Strong, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
· Friendly and confident manner
· Excellent customer service
· Knowledge of social media platforms
This is an unpaid internship (although a daily allowance to help with lunch and travel is provided). The role sits within the Fundraising team, and you will report to the Pink Ribbon Street Appeal Coordinator, based at Breast Cancer Foundation NZ's office in Parnell, Auckland.
Ideally, you'd be available full-time from mid-September to mid-November (however there is flexibility with this). We're open to part or full-time for the right person.
Breast Cancer Foundation NZ's Pink Ribbon Street Appeal Coordinator, Joanne Martin, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and CV detailing relevant skills, experience, and motivation for the role.